Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween is for the Dogs!

Halloween is for the dogs… at least that’s what my cats will tell you. 

Check out any pet store or website for the costume selection for animals and that will only verify it.  All those adorable little doggie costumes to make your pup look like a shark, bumble bee, or hotdog will make even non-animal lovers wish they had a hound to dress up. 
And what will you find for your cat?  Maybe an orange collar or a witch’s hat, that’s about it.  Seriously, can you imagine trying to get a cat to wear a hat?

It only proves that whoever came up with that idea has never actually owned a cat and/or has a thing for Dr. Seuss.

I must admit that I was just as guilty of this ignorance when I first became a cat owner.  I didn’t understand why I couldn’t dress my kitty up in cute little outfits like their canine counterparts.  After a short struggle in which I used equal parts manipulation and brute force, Spike found himself in a cute little T-shirt.  You’re probably expecting me to say that as soon as I let him go he went wild, ripping and tearing at the shirt, not stopping until he got it off.  But no, that’s not what happened.

Once I set him down in his cute little outfit, he crouched low to the ground and started to back peddle.  He seriously thought that he could somehow back out of the shirt.  At first I don’t think I realized what he was doing.  After about 5 minutes of him slinking backwards through the apartment, I finally relented and took the shirt off.  I couldn’t even enjoy the cuteness due to his utter panic.  That was a huge letdown, one that I really wasn’t willing to fully accept.

Hence the Halloween cat hat incident.  Last year I happened upon the cutest little pumpkin cat hood.  Ah yes, just slip it over your cat’s head, and use the little Velcro strap to secure.  Cute as a pumpkin!  Yeah right!

This one I tried on Chili.  She just looked at me for a second with her laser death stare, then neatly slipped it off with her paw.

Ok.  So I didn’t secure it on tight enough...

After chasing her around the house for 10 minutes I tried it again.  Same results.  But this time, after easily removing the shameful accessory, Chili immediately ran off and made sure I couldn’t find her for the next 2 days.

This year I think I’ll just stick to dressing Nash like a little devil.  Unless…

Maybe Lew would be willing to get into the spirit of Halloween…

No comments:

Post a Comment