Monday, October 12, 2015

Addicted to Sugar? That's not really real... is it?

If you know me, you know that I've never been considered "skinny" or "thin" or anything svelte-like...

I've always carried around extra weight.  Even when I was extremely active and fit, I was overweight.

Today, at the age of 34, I weigh more than I ever have.  I've dieted to lose weight in the past, and I've been successful at it... But in recent years, I have not been successful.  I have been the opposite of successful.  I have been failing miserably.

What's the deal?  It's simple to lose weight, right?  Calories in must be less than calories out... easy peasy!  Then why is it soooo hard?

I think the answer is right in front of me, and has been for some time, but I just wasn't willing to see it.

Back in 2010 I bought and read Gary Taubes' book "Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It."  I remember thinking to myself, "Well, that makes so much sense!"  Why has it taken me 5 years to let the ideas he presented sink in?  I don't know exactly... maybe I wasn't ready for that kind of lifestyle change, maybe I didn't really BELIEVE it?   Or maybe, just maybe... I've been addicted to SUGAR all this time!  And as an addict... well, you know, I'm addicted! 

I know, I know... sugar addiction?  I've read about it before.  Didn't think it was a real thing.  Just figured it was people making up excuses for themselves.  I mean, I know first-hand, it takes real will-power to cut calories enough to lose weight.  You are basically starving yourself.  That's no fun. 

So, instead of starving myself... something that I'm apparently not able to do for more than a few weeks at a time... I'm trying something different.  Something that research, and even history, is telling me will work... I am cutting out sugar (and all carbohydrates)!

I'm on day 3 of restricting my carbohydrates (as much as humanly possible -  zero carbs is an unrealistic goal!).  I just had a hearty meal of wings.  Yes, fried, crispy, delicious wings!  My belly is full... very full actually...
Then why on earth is my brain is saying, "FEED ME!!!"  I almost feel like I'm going crazy!  The very same thing happened to me last night after eating a wonderful steak and spinach dinner.  Again, I was filled up and quite satisfied... for 10 minutes.  The rest of the evening was spent trying to distract myself from the sweet cravings I was having.

Now, if I thought this was how I was going to feel indefinitely, I certainly wouldn't stick with LCHF (low carb, high fat).  The sugar addiction would win and I would go back to my old habits.  But I have been assured by a number of friends that this "withdrawal" phase will pass.  Once my body adjusts, I am told that I will feel full longer and stay satisfied without the excess carbs.  That is when I will reap the health benefits of a more natural and carb-free diet - aka become willowy and be able to run marathons! 

Ok, I'm not that naive - but I do really think this is worth attempting.  I will only know if I try, and I'm willing to give it a good go!  And lucky you, I'm going to document the whole thing, good and bad, right here so you can follow along!

No comments:

Post a Comment