Friday, October 16, 2015

Cabbage and Sausage


Even if you think you don't like cabbage, you may want to try this one!

My husband doesn't like cabbage (so he says), but he really enjoyed this meal.  Even my 4 year old ate it with a smile – and a bit of ketchup!

For 3 very large servings - or 4 less-gargantuan servings - I used 6 Oscar Meyers' Smokies smoked sausage dogs, half of a large head of cabbage, a half stick of butter, and a good glob of bacon grease! This all got sautéed in a large skillet on medium-high heat for around 20 minutes. I stirred it frequently, but put the lid on between stirrings. I also added salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.

The Oscar Meyers’ Smokies are made of beef and pork and have no carbs.  We’ve never tried them before, but they turned out to be really good.  I will be buying them again.  Of course you can use whatever carb-free sausage you’d like!  The high heat and frequent stirring was important for “caramelizing” the cabbage, which I think adds to the flavor.

We both stayed full all evening after eating this - even after my husband made the statement, "This is good, but I'm going to need a snack later..."

I had a smaller, leftover portion for lunch the next day with a side salad.  Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment