Sunday, October 18, 2015

Egg Drop Soup Plus+++

 
 
Egg Drop Soup +
 
 
We finally got a taste of fall temperatures today in the Low Country.  It makes me ready for soup.  I love egg drop soup and miso soup, but I never attempted to make them myself before.  While this soup is technically neither, I think it will satisfy your craving for either. 
 
This is also the very first time I have ever made anything with tofu in it.  I don't have anything against it, but it's just not something I've experimented with before.  My 4 year old did not like it, but I really enjoyed it!  I will cut the tofu into smaller pieces next time, but otherwise, it was great!
 
As this is a soup, you're not going to get an exact recipe from me... more like guidelines.  You are free to play with the tastes as you like!
 
I started out with about 5 cups of chicken broth in a sauce pan on medium high.  You can make your broth from scratch, bouillon, or buy it straight up... whatever!  I added about 6 oz of diced, firm tofu right away to get it adsorbing the flavors.  I added 6 green onions stalks, chopped (save another 2 stalks to garnish later).  I sprinkled in garlic powder, anise seed, and black pepper (to taste - I like garlic so I do that up, anise I kept to a pinch).  Last I added a tablespoon of sesame oil and a tablespoon of rice vinegar.  I think both or either of these could be left out if you don't already have them in your pantry, but they add some depth to the soup if you do happen to have them.
 
Next comes the fun part... Bring your soup to a boil.  While heating up, beat three eggs in another bowl.  Once boiling add the egg to the soup pan slowly while stirring.  Once the egg is added and mixed in, reduce to a simmer.  This is when a sliced a couple of radishes super thin and added them.  Again, probably not necessary, but I like the color and I had them in the fridge!
 
You can pretty much serve this immediately!  Or you can set on low for an hour or so until you're ready to eat.
 
Have fun experimenting, as I did, with different elements.


No comments:

Post a Comment